SOUTH FLORIDA CHAPTER
DUTIES OF PRESIDENT
- The President shall preside at all Chapter meetings as well as meetings of the Chapter’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Such meetings should be governed by parliamentary procedure.
- The President shall appoint committees as needed by the Chapter, and receive reports from Committee Chairpersons on a regular basis.
- The President shall work closely with Regional Directors, Officers and ALA Headquarter for the recognition of the Chapter and members, and has the responsibility of maintaining contact with those individuals in order to keep members apprised of activities.
- The President shall attend either the Annual Conference or Regional Conference, as well as the Chapter Leadership Institute, at the Chapter’s expense.
- The President shall approve all membership applications for ALA and Chapter membership. The President shall make certain that accurate membership records are maintained and that ALA Headquarters is kept apprised of all changes. The President should make an effort to recognize and welcome each new member of the Chapter.
- The President will receive many telephone inquiries and correspondence. Every effort should be made to acknowledge and respond to calls and correspondence in a timely manner.
- The President should be available for meetings, events, and activities with other legal organizations, such as bar associations.
- The President shall participate in ALA’s Chapter Presidents’ listserve.
- The President will encourage members to abide by ALA’s code of Professional Ethics.
- The President shall arrange for an audit of the Chapter’s books.
- The President shall apply for merit awards as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
DUTIES OF PRESIDENT-ELECT
- The President-Elect is a member of the Chapter’s Board of Directors and has the prime responsibility to assist the President in fulfilling his/her duties and to act in the place of the President when the President is unable to do so. It is intended that this officer will prepare to assume the position of President the subsequent year in such a way that the continuity of the Chapter will be maintained.
- Either alone or in conjunction with an Education or Program chair or Committee, this officer is responsible for all programming during his/her term of office, include Chapter meetings, including but not limited to subject matter, format, speakers, location, etc., and therefore is automatically a member of the Program Committee.
- All standing committees are coordinated through the President-Elect. This officer is an honorary co-chair on all committees. It is also the responsibility of this officer to recruit committee participants from the general chapter membership.
- The President-Elect will attend all Chapter meetings and Board meetings. In addition, he/she will attend the Chapter Leadership Institute, at ALA Headquarter’s and Chapter’s expense.
- The President-Elect shall participate in ALA’s Chapter President’s listerve. The President-Elect will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Cod of Professional Responsibility.
- The President-Elect shall manage the Legal Expo, which should be held in March.
- The President-Elect shall plan the Transition Dinner, which should be held in April. At this dinner, the gravel will be passed from the outgoing President to the incoming President. The President-Elect shall purchase the thank you gift for the President which will be awarded at the Transition Dinner.
Vice President of Membership
Emelyn B. Weir
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
DUTIES OF VICE-PRESIDENT/MEMBERSHIP
- The Vice-President/Membership is a member of the Chapter’s Board of Directors and has the responsibility to attend all Chapter meetings and Board meetings. In addition, he/she will attend the Chapter Leadership Institute at the Board’s expense.
- The Vice-President/Membership will prepare a membership report for each meeting of the Board of Directors, listing number of current members, number and names of members proposed for membership, and members who have dropped membership. S/he is responsible for verifying membership rosters with ALA Headquarters.
- The Vice-President/Membership is responsible for responding to all membership inquiries, including providing membership information packages to requestors.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall prepare a budget for an coordinate all recruitment activities.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall distribute a welcome letter to all new members along with information regarding the Chapter’s activities.
- The Vice-President/Membership abides by ALA Headquarters’ application approval procedure. S/he reminds the Chapter President to notify ALA Headquarters by May 31st which new member application processing option s/he prefers for the year.
- The Vice-President/Membership will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Code of Professional Responsibility.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall participate in programs calculated to increase membership and communicate the activities and accomplishments of the Chapter to all parties interested in membership in the Chapter.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall maintain an accurate and updated listing of current records of active and new members in the Chapter. S/he shall update and review membership application forms and renewal notices annually, and organize the annual membership renewal drive. S/he shall be responsible for sending dues renewal notices. Notices for dues renewals are sent on December 1 and are due on January 1. She/he shall organize follow-up calls or exit surveys and will contact all non-renewing members.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall update the Chapter membership directory information, and work with Webmaster to update the website.
- The Vice-President/Membership shall offer a new member orientation and/or mentoring program.
DUTIES OF SECRETARY
- The Secretary is a member of the Chapter’s Board of Directors and has the responsibility to attend all Chapter meetings and Board meetings. In addition, he/she will attend the Chapter Leadership Institute, at the Board’s expense.
- The Secretary shall record the proceedings of all Board of Directors meetings. A copy of the minutes should be distributed to the Board as soon as possible after meetings, with approval being obtained at the next Board meeting.
- The Secretary shall provide highlights of the Board of Directors minutes to the Webmaster, for inclusion on the website.
- The Secretary shall maintain a record of the proceedings at all Chapter meetings. A copy of the minutes shall be distributed to the entire membership, with approval being obtained at the next Chapter meeting.
- The Secretary shall notify the Regional Board of the Chapter’s activities by sending a copy of the Board’s minutes to the Regional Communication Officer, as soon as possible following the Board meetings.
- The Secretary will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Code of Professional Responsibility.
Gordon & Rees
DUTIES OF TREASURER
- The Treasurer maintains records of all financial transactions, and prepares financial reports for meetings of the Chapter’s Board of Directors.
- Prior to the end of the Chapter’s year, the Treasurer prepares a projected budget for the upcoming year, using input from officers and committee chairpersons.
- The Treasurer attends Chapter meetings and Board of Directors meetings. In addition, s/he attends the Chapter Leadership Institute, at the Board’s expense.
- The Treasurer shall receive and deposit all funds, including:
- New member dues
- Renewal dues
- Chapter meeting fees
- Fees for salary surveys
- Business Partner sponsorship fees
- The Treasurer shall maintain the Chapter’s checking accounts and pays all Chapter bills and expenses. The Treasurer also maintains receipts and reconciles the bank statements monthly.
- The Treasurer directs the bank to issue the bank statements to a current or past president, who opens, reviews, and then forwards the statements to the Treasurer.
- The Treasurer will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Code of Professional Responsibility.
- The Treasurer shall keep state corporation records current and in good standing.
- The Treasurer shall work with the auditor chosen by the President to conduct an annual review of the Chapter’s books.
- Treasurer shall file an annual tax return.
Past - President/Director
LEVINE KELLOGG LEHMAN SCHNEIDER + GROSSMAN LLP
DUTIES OF IMMEDIATE PAST-PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR
- Is a member of the Chapter’s Board of Directors, and has the responsibility to attend all Chapter meetings and Board meetings;
- Will arrange and host an annual Past Presidents – New Members luncheon or dinner;
- Shall be the contact for and to maintain a Job Bank for open positions and of those members looking for new positions;
- Will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Code of Professional Responsibility.
Past - President/Director
Lichter Law Firm, P.A.
DUTIES OF SECOND PAST-PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR
- The Second Past-President/Director (hereafter called Director) is a member of the Chapter’s Board of Directors, and has the responsibility to attend all Chapter meetings and Board meetings;
- Shall administer the Regional and Annual Conferences scholarship program for chapter members;
- The Director will encourage members to abide by ALA’s Code of Professional Responsibility.